Thursday, August 27, 2009

Juicing a Lemon, part 1

Someone asked how to get a juice out of a lemon. You don't need a fancy juicer. Lemons should be kept at room temperature, but if yours is in the fridge, that's okay. Take it out and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. No more.
Next roll it beneath the heel of your palm. This loosens the juice. My friend puts it on the floor and steps on it and rolls it under her foot, then she washes it off and uses it. Either way works.

Take out a small bowl and a sieve. Cut the lemon in half and hold it over the sieve. Take a fork and stick the fork into the fruit part of the lemon half. Twist the fork and squeeze the lemon. Keep going until no more juice can be extracted. Repeat with the other half of the lemon. This works with limes, too.

This makes me think of that saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." This saying used to infuriate me (I don't like cliches). When I heard it, I would invariably fume internally saying, "How? What does that mean? Why don't people give specifics?" Now at age 55, I can't figure out why I was so upset by that saying. It's so obviously sensible and it is what anyone who tries to use what is at hand for good will do.

I love using what I have at hand to make something or fix something or finish something. Recently, when cleaning out my closet I found that a favorite sweater had moth holes in it. Though I have lavender saches in my closet, the moths still invade. This sweater is a fabulous color and has sentimental meaning because I was wearing it when I first met Joey. Anway, it seemed also to have shrunk a little. (Must be the sweater, couldn't be all those cookies) so I decided to shrink it some more! I washed it in as hot water as I could, then dried it on high. It was definitely smaller.
Then I dug out my baby patterns and used it to make a little jacket for Valerie's baby. The knitted hem and cuffs made perfect, ready-knit trim for the little sweater!
Then I decided to use this lovely fabric ( I had only 1/2 yard) to make a matching dress. I guess that's more like life giving you lemons and you make an entire party.

Here's to taking what you have and making something useful!
... to be continued

3 comments:

  1. The outfit was really beautiful and a great repurposing of such a lovely sweater! I guess I like cliches, at least I like things that are familiar, simple, and often SO true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I always got mad at that cliche too and realized that I would probably tell someone the same thing if I were on the other side. I love lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in my great aunt's hallway hung the quilters version "When life gives you scraps, make a quilt."

    my cousins and I repurposed the sayings themselves. our little saying went: "when life gives you lemons, make a quilt."

    yours can say,"when life gives you moths, make an heirloom outfit for your tiny unborn granddaughter" or something ;) great work!

    ReplyDelete