Monday, November 30, 2009

When That Daily Bread Gets Old: A Recipe

What to do with the leftover bread from Thanksgiving dinner? It was all so delicious and I wanted to eat it all, but a few days later, it’s going stale. I don’t want to throw it out… I know, make a bread pudding!
I cut
4 slices challah with raisins
2 sweet potato/ cheddar cheese rolls
2 slices of cranberry bread
1 large pumpkin muffin
2 slices plain challah
into cubes

and put the cubes in my big mixing bowl.
Over this I poured a mixture o
2 ½ cups milk
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla
and let it sit for 15 minutes.

I greased a 9" square baking dish and a small round ramekin and turned the oven t o 350 degrees.
I mixed:
6 eggs
 ½ cup of milk
½ cup of cinnamon sugar left over from making a coffee cake
1 teaspoon vanilla.
I spooned the soaked bread crumbs into the baking dishes and slowly poured the custard over it. I moved the mixture around a little so that the custard would soak in evenly.



Next I took a half used jar of lemon curd and a half used jar of pear butter. I mixed these and dropped the mixture in teaspoons over the top of the bread pudding.

After baking it at 350 for 45 minutes, I took it out of the oven to find it golden brown, and fragrant. I tasted the small one and it is just a bit spicy, soft, delicious and warming.  The large one is going into the freezer for the next time I need a warm dessert.

Variations:
1. Serve with cream, soy whipped cream, ice cream or whipped cream
2. Non-dairy: Use only non dairy bread. Substitute a mixture of rice milk and coconut milk for the milk so that you will have the richness that rice milk alone doesn’t give. Make sure your jam or fruit butter is dairy free (as most are). Enjoy!
3. Add dried fruit or chocolate chips to the soaked bread crumbs.
.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds wonderful! thanks for posting it!

    Melanie Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this. I recently realized that I love bread pudding when my daughter made some for me to try. Your variation sounds delicious.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete