Friday, August 20, 2010

Art Walk With Tots...

One of the things I love about Annapolis are the businesses that have lasted for more than thirty years.
I love driving to the small shopping areas, the old streets where houses were made many years ago into shops and are still thriving.
Among these shops is Art Things, an artists' supply shop in West Annapolis. When I was in college, I lived in West Annapolis and so the streets there are familiar and dear to me. Art Things was there then, where it is now and I visited it and plunked down my change once in a great while for a fountain pen or peacock blue ink.
Over the years, I've relied on the store when I've needed any quality art supply. When I was making Danish stars and hearts for the Christmas tree, I found the lovely red paper there. Linoleum blocks for the graphic design that will decorate the pages of my novel, pencils for my son, water color pencils to give to an artist friend.

Art Things participated in sort of street fair called an Art Walk. All over town artists paint in the open air  and Art Things had lots of art supplies that visitors were welcome to try.

We saw a potter making a bowl.
Joey had a million questions and thought it was the greatest bowl he'd ever seen.
Jack said, over and over again, "Can I try?"
He was invited to touch the clay and promptly got it all over his face.

The porch of the store was set up with water color crayons...


 and sparkle paint which looked amazing on both white and black paper.


Children were encouraged to try each new thing. No one could resist!


I would not have known there was such a thing as water color crayons or sparkle paint!


The fair was a great idea, so warm, encouraging the arts, friendly, so Annapolis.

Art Things' wall of Mona Lisa paintings... check it out some time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment