Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Clare's Birthday

I had the honor of seeing Clare on her first birthday.

We had lots of fun.

My husband and I got Clare a metal, unbreakable tea set and a little baby doll.

I hid the baby doll in my sewing room
 where Clare loves to go
 and when Clare spotted it there on the shelf beside Bridget,
 she squealed with delight and kept looking back at her mommy as if she couldn't believe it was for her.

So we made a little tea party.

It was uncanny to watch her; she knew just what to do with everything!

She offered tea to Bridget (the homemade doll)...

and to PJ (I wanted to name the baby Marguerite but was out voted.)

It made Clare so happy.


We "had the very best of plays!"

All of which reminds me of a poem by Robert Lewis Stevenson:

We built a ship upon the stairs
All made of the back-bedroom chairs,
And filled it full of soft pillows
To go a-sailing on the billows.
We took a saw and several nails,
And water in the nursery pails;
And Tom said, "Let us also take
An apple and a slice of cake;"--
Which was enough for Tom and me
To go a-sailing on, till tea.
We sailed along for days and days,
And had the very best of plays;
But Tom fell out and hurt his knee,
So there was no one left but me.


2 comments:

  1. So sweet!!! What a neat idea for a gift and I love that she knew how to give the tea to Bridget and PJ/Marguerite. Looks like Clare had a perfect day!
    ~Karis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making it a wonderful day, Mom. Clare loves everything that Grannie gives her. You guys are cut from the same cloth. I just think she is the sweetest little bean of a thing. Sorry she didn't wear the "birthday dress".

    ReplyDelete