Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Recipe for a Happy Birthday

recipe for the birthday cake is written below


This year it seemed like I celebrated my birthday for an entire week!

One of the happiest ways happened during the party that Joe and Andrea held at their home.
My birthday always comes at a terribly busy time of year so that it would be easy to just skip it. And though I did suggest that, Andrea said, "no." Our family has always listened to Andrea, from the time that she got us to put down our books and fill up an entire box full of outdoor trash bags with fall leaves and I'm happy to say that hasn't changed...
I was touched that they would want to take time out of their very busy lives to organize a party! It was a joy and a blessing.

I used to celebrate my birthday with my younger sister; we are the same age for one week and we celebrated our birthdays together. We had a combined party, shared a cake and got mirror presents: I got the blue sweater, she got the same one in red -- or was it the other way around? Anyway, I missed my sisters and brothers as I always do around my birthday, but I got to read to three of my grandchildren at once. (One grandchild is too young for group book reading).

For me, observing people is the most fun of any event. This is a bit harder to do when you are the guest of honor, but I did get in some moments.
I loved watching Clare's admiration for her cousins. She thinks they are the greatest things around. (I do, too).
She tried to get their attention...
by being her cute self.

not much actual reading going on here
She couldn't resist kissing Jack.

Joe and Andrea are wonderful hosts; their home is warm and welcoming and the food was delicious.

It's hectic trying to talk and take care of little children, too, but we managed and had a lot of fun.


It's true the birthday cake fell apart, but it was absolutely delicious! I love homemade food and nothing is better than this wonderful apple cake for dessert. Thanks to Valerie for taking time to make it and drive it over to Andrea's.

Birthday Apple Cake:

Prepare:
4 apples - peel and slice lengthwise (don't chop)
put them in a bowl and sprinkle sugar (1/4 cup) and cinnamon (2 T) on them. Let them stand for about a half an hour. 
Grease and flour a tube pan or a 9" x 13" pan or two loaf pans

Beat until lemony colored:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
4 fresh eggs

Sift together:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix:
3/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1T boiled cider (see below for where to get this)

Once the egg mixture is beaten, add the dry ingredients alternately with the juice/vanilla. Don't over mix.

Pour half the batter into the baking pan. Layer on half the apples. Repeat ending with apples on top.
Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until a knife inserted in the center comes out nearly clean. It's a moist cake so it won't be completely, scrupulously clean. 

Reserve the "juice" left from the apples. Mix in 1 tablespoon boiled cider (available from King Arthur Flour and worth it). Add confectioner's sugar to make a glaze.

When the cake is done, let it cool a bit. After you take it from the tube pan and if you can hold your family off, let it stand for 12-24 hours before cutting. This helps the cake develop a delicious, sweet crunchy crust. Use the glaze you made and drizzle that on top. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy, happy birthday! (We're still celebrating, right?) Your birthday was a day away from the internet, and I was so sorry I didn't get the chance to send you greetings on the day. It looks like your celebration was a joy.

    ReplyDelete