Monday, January 17, 2011

Two Favorite Appetizers

My favorite appetizer is simple and wonderful.
Fresh French bread sliced and spread with unsalted butter.
Slice fresh radishes and layer them atop the butter. Sprinkle this with sea salt.
Enjoy with your favorite beverage.
The crisp bread, soft in the center, the creamy butter and the salty crunch of the radishes are a sublime combination.
Simple, delicious and refreshing.


I also like to make hummus because it's good for you, yummy, it's far less expensive and I prefer it without garlic.
This week I thought I'd try a black bean hummus.

One can of black beans and one can of garbanzo beans drained.
 fresh cilantro chopped (1/2 cup)
juice and grated peel of one lime

1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp pepper flakes
1/3 cup olive oil

Mix the beans and process in the food processor until it's pretty well chopped.
Add the cilantro, lime peel and juice, the salt and pepper.

Whirl again in the processor.  While the processor is running add the olive oil and thereby create a creamy mixture.

Enjoy on fresh carrot sticks, chips, slices of bread, on sandwiches, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to make this right now because I forgot to get some from you the other day! I loved it! I wonder how long it will last in the fridge? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It lasts a long time... at least a week.

    ReplyDelete