Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Something for a Rainy Day

Next time it's a rainy day and you or your children are bored, consider a trip to Whole Foods. There's one simple reason why -- ostrich and emu eggs!


They cost $19.00 each, but you can see them up close. The ostrich eggs are ivory colored and they have a lizard skin sort of texture. 



The emu eggs are blue green! It's like something Dr. Seuss might have imagined.

I actually thought about buying one of each (how to justify the expense!) and making a small hole in each end to extract the innards without damaging the shell. Then I could wash out the shell and keep it.  But then I thought... what would I actually do with a ginormous eggshell? (Any ideas?) So I took pictues instead.



Now, if only they'd get goose and duck and quail eggs in...

2 comments:

  1. My Dad got an ostrich egg as a gift once (from a friend who had visited Africa I think). I remember thinking it was really cool when I was little : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know they had them there :) Great idea to take the kids there. I think there are a lot of fun things for them to see at that store. My kids always like the fish section of the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete