Monday, June 27, 2011

My Quest To Make A French Corded Cap

Recently I wrote about how I learned about the French art of corded quilting (boutis) and how I came to make an imitation of a cap I saw in Paris years ago.
After I made the first one, I saw a picture of an exquisite cap  in a book and of course, felt as if I had to try to make it.
I used the picture as a sort of inspiration and set to work.
This cap has more embroidery on it and I did that embroidery on the machine.
First the embroidery is done joining two layers of fabric together.
While the cap pieces are stretched in a quilting hoop, it is stuffed with cording.
 When it is stuffed s so that I think it looks good, I cut out the round the shapes and the lining. For the lining, I chose a white flannel with a tiny, pink flower. Though it is summer, the cording makes the cap a bit uneven inside.

I like to finish the edge with piping and since everything I make for babies has a bit of tiny gingham piping I decided to stay consistent.  (I did toy with the idea of using lace and finally abandoned that option in abject indecision).
The back of the cap is a circle and difficult to sew. I basted it first, and could my mother now read this, she'd be pleased that I finally listened to her sewing advice.

I put a little bit of elastic at the nape of the neck.

And best of all, I was able to get it done just in time for my granddaughter's birth.
But I like how it turned out, don't you?
I'd like to go on making baby caps for a very long time.

2 comments:

  1. I think every baby(and their mother) would be very pleased if you did :) excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXQUISITE!!!
    -Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete