Sunday, April 29, 2012

My son recently gave this intelligent, important speech at the high school where he teaches.

"It’s good to see you all. I’m really glad to be here, and I love this school. Chapel has become one of my favorite parts of the week, because I like when we (the school) can do things together. Even when I don’t follow the speaker, or I don’t understand the lyrics of a particular song, I still get the feeling that it’s not just myself doing this. We do chapel together.
It's my adventure now.There are a number of ways we talk about the world, cliches or platitudes, bromides or chestnuts, that we repeat over and over and over and rely upon, which turn out to be completely untrue. The biggest thing I think we misunderstand is time. We talk about time as if it were a series of moments that we inhabit one after the other. We talk about “time flying” or we remember specific moments from long ago, as if they were points on a geometric line, like intersections. We say that moments are brief. But really, when I think about how I experience time, my life is one long moment. I’ve been alive for almost 34 years now, and it’s always now..."

Read more by clicking here:

No comments:

Post a Comment